Thursday, February 4, 2016

Finding a "just right" book app

Diving into the e-book app world is daunting, to say the least, and I'd better confess my ignorance right now. At first glance, I assumed the guiding question “what do I gain/lose by using digital books” was purely a matter of sensory experience – the weight of a novel in your hands with real pages to turn vs. clicking the screen on a device to view the next page.  After reading the Zipke article, however, I discovered the wonders of e-book apps, or “bapps” if I want to sound trendy. How engaging for students to not only become immersed in a great text, but to enhance the experience by interacting with the characters, having choice in the narrative or plot, and explore links to enrich their understanding of a time, place, or a song that is an integral part of the story.

While most of the articles focused on elementary students, my experience teaching eighth graders prompted me to search for appropriate digital book apps for this demographic. The Zipke article advises the importance of choosing the right e-book app for one’s students. One that has “the potential to bring exciting new digital features to the reader, but needs to be in conjunction with strong writing, interesting language, subject matter that draws students in, and developmentally appropriate themes” (p. 376).

Adding to Zipke’s criteria, the Jonas-Dwyer article points out the need to “consider whether the app providers keep the information private.  Make sure you read the privacy information provided by the app developer. A Wall Street Journal investigation found that smart phones may, in some cases without your knowledge send your device’s unique ID, age, gender and/or location to external sites” (p.55). This was a problem in my school. While there were several apps teachers wished to use, the students were required to divulge personal information to sign up which resulted in students and parents receiving unexpected e-mail solicitations. Needless to say, that experience made most of our teachers wary of trying apps that weren’t already approved by the school district.

Despite the negative experience my school had with apps, the right book app can inspire a reluctant reader to look forward to and enjoy the process of reading thanks to the extra incentives and support. Armed with the knowledge provided by this week’s readings, I began my search for the perfect batch of books apps for eighth graders.

Holy information overload, Batman.

There were So. Many. Apps. After casting too wide a net with my first searches, I tried to be very specific with terms like "award-winning interactive fiction for middle school." I found some great potential e-books, but more information was needed. For example, an award-winning interactive version of Sherlock Holmes popped up, available for $2.99, but there was no “lite page” as Zipke referred to the free preview. 

SHERLOCK: Interactive Adventure by HAAB. 
Available on iTunes


I did have some success, however. An interesting prospect that can help me find the right apps for middle school students is the School Library Journal’s Ebook Market Directory. This directory provides a snapshot of nineteen vendors that offer the spectrum of buying, renting, or leasing e-books based on a specific target age. Still a daunting task to sift through all of the information, but it seems like a good place to start. Another website with good potential for my target audience was Common Sense Graphite. I liked their ratings system, and the information was easy to scan. I also tried the Kirkus Review and New York Times reviews as Zipke recommends, but those weren't as user friendly as the ones I found.

Despite the challenge of filtering through the plethora of information, the search is worth it. Finding the right e-book(s) for that student who needs a little extra motivation and support can potentially make all the difference. With the rapid pace in which technology is advancing, the process of pinpointing the right app should only get easier.

A question for my peers: do you use e-book apps in your classroom, and if so, how did you find them?



7 comments:

  1. Beth, I love that even though we teacher such different ages we have such common ground. The articles I selected were focused around how to build an e-book library. I had not thought about what made a quality e-book to children. I personally reading using a Kindle, but had not considered that books could enhance the reading experience for children.

    I also struggled to find quality e-books when looking for examples. I agree that trying the Lite versions are the best choices. I do often worry about accessibility and my students all being able to access the e-books. I would love to hear more about how you see this going in your classroom. What does the technology look like in your room?

    I wonder since your students are older if in addition to e-books, using news and other important literature would help students grow as readers and as active citizens. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie - I think using news and other non-fiction works would be great for secondary students, and with the right e-book app, infinitely more appealing. You asked what technology looks like in my classroom... my experience is based on student teaching last semester, and we didn't use any e-book apps (or read anything on line, for that matter.) However, it would be fairly easy to integrate, as my CT had eight iPads (that she purchased herself!) for use in her classroom, as well as access to Chromebook carts every other day. It's just making that leap to digital that can be quite overwhelming initiatlly.

      Delete
  2. Beth, I love that even though we teacher such different ages we have such common ground. The articles I selected were focused around how to build an e-book library. I had not thought about what made a quality e-book to children. I personally reading using a Kindle, but had not considered that books could enhance the reading experience for children.

    I also struggled to find quality e-books when looking for examples. I agree that trying the Lite versions are the best choices. I do often worry about accessibility and my students all being able to access the e-books. I would love to hear more about how you see this going in your classroom. What does the technology look like in your room?

    I wonder since your students are older if in addition to e-books, using news and other important literature would help students grow as readers and as active citizens. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I am also interested in hearing other responses to that question. My students have access to a library of e-books through the Overdrive application which is provided through our school district. Students are able to check the books out like regular library books and then read them on either a school iPad or tablet at home. What I have noticed though is that these e-books are a simple online version of what is already available in print. With upper elementary grades, I've struggled to find interactive books that would be appropriate for the levels of readers in my classroom.

    The website that you posted from Common Sense Graphite seems like a great resource to start with for finding appropriate apps. I recognize several of these as sources that I personally use as the teacher, but I'm curious if the apps are more student friendly and allow students to access content that is appropriate for their level. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara -- I hadn't heard of the Overdrive app. Will be sure to check that out!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rawa - how fun that you use ebooks at home with your daughter! Have you found any interesting interactive titles? I think my daughter would have a blast with those, but sadly, before this class I didn't know they existed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete